Monday, September 19, 2005

Chai Tea - it's like drinking a scented candle

My boss recommended that I try the latest fad in tea to hit Alice Springs, Chai tea. Apparently it's a blend of spices that make a really nice tea. So last weekend, when we got up and discovered there was no milk we decided to go for breakfast at the local hippie cafe.

Fortunately unlike hippie cafes in Glebe where soy bacon and scrambled tofu are on the menu, Bar Doppio does a nice line in really big breakfasts with lashings of bacon and nice fluffy eggs, and for about $11 a pop so it's good value.

So onto Chai tea. Being a hippie cafe they had Chai tea, so I thought I'd try it. So it comes all frothy, made on milk like a latte. So far so good. I tentatively taste the froth on top. It's sort of fragrant and reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on. Then it comes to me, it's like walking into one of those smelly candle shops, except I can taste it. It really is like drinking a scented candle.

Dave is silly enough to ask what it's like so I offer him a taste. I cunningly don't mention scented candles. The look of confusion on his face is too much for me so I cave in and tell him what I think. He grins, agrees, and says 'You've got to blog that'.

No comments: