Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Those Wacky Laws

Just read an article on the ABC site about the most ridiculous British laws, which lists some very amusing ones. My favourite, simply for the way it is phrased is number 8:
"It is illegal to avoid telling the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing ". Although the next time I am in Scotland I might randomly ask to use someone's bathroom and see what happens.

I know we have some strange ones as well, like a pub is obliged to feed and stable your horse, and it is legal to urinate in public on the left rear wheel of your car (one presumes men only, although... ). Sydney University used to have a bylaw that if you turned up to exams with your sword (and possibly spurs) you they were obliged to provide you with a pint of ale during the exam. This got repealed when someone tried it.

What are the other strange laws we have that are still hanging around? I'm tempted to say "like prohibiting gay marriage" but I'm sure we are all getting enough political toing and froing this week.

No comments: