Tuesday, April 18, 2006

It's a sick sad world

I was looking at the tres amusement Needs to be Glassed site and they had a link to a Marie Claire article about men who 'have relationships' with dolls. NotBarbie dolls but blow up dolls. They claim that they've been unlucky in relationships before and this way they can be fulfilled. At no point do they seem to realise that they are complete freaks who shouldn't be allowed out.

'I bought Rebecca a few months ago with the money left from my redundancy payment,' he recalls. 'In my imagination, she's 14 and earns pocket money by working in her school library. 'She's very important to me,' he continues. 'I feel affection for her which goes beyond sexual desire.'

One of the lines used by a maker of these things is;

The way Malcolm speaks of Rebecca leaves you wondering whether, at best, he is a fantasist or, at worst, psychotic with paedophile tendencies. Psychologist Ron Bracey is alarmed that these dolls allow their owners to indulge in fantasies that would be criminal acts in the real world. 'Who knows where consciousness begins,' Malcolm muses, worringly. 'Think of the Frankenstein monster, made from bits of dead bodies and brought to life by a flash of lightning. Is he dead or alive? A lot of people treat their dogs like children, so why is it mad to imagine a doll has feelings when she looks far more like a real woman than a dog looks like a child?'

Uhm, maybe because a dog can actually express emotion.

Now I need to go and scrub myself with a wire brush and dettol just to feel clean again

No comments: