Monday, May 21, 2007

What is a place like me doing in a girl like this

This is Golda Meir, one time Prime Minister of Israel.



You get alot of pictures of her when you Google Image search "Meir." But I was not searching for that Meir, I was searching for the Meir which is the site of rock tombs which date from the Old Kingdom through to the Middle Kingdom periods of Ancient Egypt. And why was I searching for this obscure (no Wikipedia entry!) Meir?

Why, because I will be spending six weeks there in November/December this year doing archaeological fieldwork. As some of you know, I've been studying Egyptology at uni. I applied for it a month ago, had an interview Friday and got the good news today! Frack! All the lecturers have their own digs over there which they work November -- February when uni has Summer hols, but they only take four or five students so I wasn't banking on it.

But I got it! Wooooooo. The modern city closest to the site is Assyut. These are the standard tourist picture of Assyut and for the benefit of my mother if she's reading this, I'm sure all that stuff about it being the main centre of militant Islamism is waaaaaaay exaggerated. If they do blow me up, kindly tell Howard and Downer to frack off if they try to meet my returning remains at the airport.



No comments: